Bakwa Magazine is currently accepting applications for the position of editorial intern.
Since its creation in 2011, Bakwa has published new and major writers from the African continent and the world in original languages and translations. Over the years, we have partnered with the University of Bristol, the Goethe-Institut, Phoneme Media, and Saraba Magazine among others, and we were selected for the Best of the Net Award for Fiction. Young writers published early by Bakwa Magazine have gone on to win significant prizes from the Guardian and 4th Estate BAME Short Story prize to the Morland Writing Scholarship.
The editorial intern will assist the executive and editorial teams in curating and developing projects where original and experimental writing can exist and thrive, and will gain hands-on experience and knowledge in the workings of an international magazine.
– excellent writing and communication skills;
– dynamism and enthusiasm for learning;
– knowledge of Bakwa Magazine’s previous work is a plus;
– ability to take initiative;
– self-discipline, organisational, and planning skills;
– working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.);
– social media savvy.
-Language: English is mandatory. French is a plus;
Duties and Responsibilities:
– understand the vision and the work of the magazine and champion its cause effectively;
– assist in research, critical reading and analysis, fact checking, and interviews;
– work closely with editors in planning, organizing, proofreading, editing and reviewing material for both online and printed publications.
Apply via email to email@example.com with “Editorial Intern” as the subject. Your application should include a cover letter, CV, and sample writing (preferably nonfiction).
Deadline: August 30, 2022